ASIAN-STYLE "BURRITO BOWL"
A quick and easy homemade dinner recipe for y’all that I tried and absolutely loved!
- ~1 lb (organic) ground turkey
- 1/4 cup (low sodium) soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- a dash of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, sliced
1. Combine soy sauce, ground ginger, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and black pepper into a bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
2. Add the sesame oil to a large pan and bring over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey and stir (I did it with a wooden spoon) to break up and mix into the sesame oil. Cook for 3 minutes, until it starts to break into chunks and brown a little bit.
3. Add the chopped onion and stir together.
4. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5-6 minutes until the turkey is cooked through (broken into small chunks + onions are softened).
5. Add garlic and stir together. Cook for another minute.
6. Add the sauce that was set aside (with the soy sauce, etc.). Stir to coat the meat and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from heat and top with sesame seeds and sliced scallions! I put mine in a bowl on top of a bed of brown rice.
**TOPPING IDEAS: red cabbage, edamame, cashews/peanuts, carrots, avocado, etc.
I do eat red meat occasionally, but as little as possible due to the impacts it has on the environment :( DID YOU KNOW: if “how the food groups vegans cut out affect the environment” was broken down into a pie chart, over 50% would be credited to red meat alone?? … so that’s why I rarely buy ground beef and use ground turkey instead—it tastes the same to me! Also, it’s better for your cholesterol levels and is a great source of tryptophan, which is converted by your body into serotonin, thus improving mood, reducing anxiety, and helping with better quality sleep. (You could definitely also use ground chicken if you wanted!)